About this blog

This blog looks at how families express themselves and provides practical suggestions for improving communication.  Of course, "effective" and "improving" are value-laden terms, so while you may not agree with each of my suggestions, I do hope you'll keep stopping by to find the nuggets that work for you and those you love.  As you find ideas of value, please share this page with others.

NOTE: On the right-hand side of this page, click on "Follow Me On Twitter" and you will receive an update each time I post to this blog.  Also, click on "Receive Our 'Effective Family Communication' Newsletter" and you'll be added to our mailing list.


Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Hassle theory of love – and employment

I was with a client recently, talking about how someone had responded to two people in similar circumstances quite differently.  It reminded me of my hassle theory of love.

No HasslesBack when I was single, I used to say that I knew I was in love when I was willing to put up with the hassles.  Being single makes scheduling, decision-making, TV-watching, eating, and spending money easier because you don’t have to factor in the interests of another.  But when you’re in love you put up with the hassles because it’s worth it.

The reason the person my client and I were discussing had responded differently to two people in similar circumstances was because with the one person it wasn’t worth the hassle and with the other it was.

So I realized this theory applies to business relationships as well.  Why do some people get away with certain behaviors while others don’t?  Because the first set of people are worth the hassles, the second set aren’t.

What makes someone in business worth the hassles?  They’re well connected, they are brilliant in some key area, they are otherwise quite likeable, they have been loyal for many years, and so on.

Why am I married?  Because Judy’s friendship and presence were worth any hassle I might ever experience.  I trust she feels the same.

Kids? The difference with kids is that you don’t get to experience the hassles (not really – babysitting and visiting friends with kids don’t truly count because you get to leave) until you’ve made the commitment and, for reasonably functional individuals, divorcing your kids is much more difficult than divorcing your spouse.

That’s why I’m often reminded of Colossians 3:21: “Fathers, do not exasperate your children, so that they will not lose heart” (NASB).  I must be cautious that I don’t make my parenting such a hassle to my children that they lose heart.  Sure they’ll put up with a lot coming from me, just as I do with them.  But I must be careful that I don’t take advantage of their love, especially as I am to be the mature adult in the relationship.

Hassles are the cost of meaningful relationship.  Just be thankful you get to experience them with people you love.  Because the cost of a hassle-free life is relational isolation.

No comments:

Post a Comment