About this blog

This blog looks at how families express themselves and provides practical suggestions for improving communication.  Of course, "effective" and "improving" are value-laden terms, so while you may not agree with each of my suggestions, I do hope you'll keep stopping by to find the nuggets that work for you and those you love.  As you find ideas of value, please share this page with others.

NOTE: On the right-hand side of this page, click on "Follow Me On Twitter" and you will receive an update each time I post to this blog.  Also, click on "Receive Our 'Effective Family Communication' Newsletter" and you'll be added to our mailing list.


Monday, November 8, 2010

“I love you” is reason enough

There were times in our marriage where my wife would ask me to do something – run an errand with her, for example – and I would agree to go.  Then she’d ask if I was doing it because I wanted to and I would say that it was not because I wanted to but because I love her.

I love youShe found this less than satisfying, but we don’t lie to each other and I didn’t see any reason to begin just so she would get the answer she wanted.  Besides, I am a terrible liar and she always seems to know when I am shading the truth (like when I’ve tried to keep a surprise from her).

Recently we went geocaching and I told her I was glad to be there because I love her – she looked at me and said, “I know you didn’t want to come, but I appreciate you being here.”  So, at least for us, “I love you” is reason enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment