About this blog

This blog looks at how families express themselves and provides practical suggestions for improving communication.  Of course, "effective" and "improving" are value-laden terms, so while you may not agree with each of my suggestions, I do hope you'll keep stopping by to find the nuggets that work for you and those you love.  As you find ideas of value, please share this page with others.

NOTE: On the right-hand side of this page, click on "Follow Me On Twitter" and you will receive an update each time I post to this blog.  Also, click on "Receive Our 'Effective Family Communication' Newsletter" and you'll be added to our mailing list.


Thursday, January 5, 2012

Family Viewing Suggestion – “Human Planet”

“There’s so little good to watch these days.”  “Everything on TV is garbage.”

Common sentiments, but not ones I find convincing.  In fact, I would say there is a lot more worth watching these days then when I was growing up.  There is, however, a lot of inappropriate advertising even in the midst of worthwhile programming (the ad for Mike & Molly that appeared during football the other night was not appropriate for a younger family audience), and a lot of programming is garbage (do I really need to list examples?).

[Warning – lack of clear segue.]

imageI had a great Christmas this year, largely because I was able to surprise those I love with special gifts.  I was also surprised by some of my gifts - great music from my kids and a wonderful Blu-ray series that my nephew purchased.

If you enjoyed the splendor of Planet Earth, then you’ll love Human Planet (click on the links to view the items on Amazon).  The content isn’t rated – I would say some of what we’ve seen would garner a PG (perhaps even PG-13) for subject matter.  It is a reminder both of how amazing people are and how thankful I am to live where I do.

So if you have teens or are willing to watch selectively, I would recommend Human Planet highly.

No comments:

Post a Comment