About this blog

This blog looks at how families express themselves and provides practical suggestions for improving communication.  Of course, "effective" and "improving" are value-laden terms, so while you may not agree with each of my suggestions, I do hope you'll keep stopping by to find the nuggets that work for you and those you love.  As you find ideas of value, please share this page with others.

NOTE: On the right-hand side of this page, click on "Follow Me On Twitter" and you will receive an update each time I post to this blog.  Also, click on "Receive Our 'Effective Family Communication' Newsletter" and you'll be added to our mailing list.


Wednesday, April 6, 2011

5 Reasons to Visit Colleges as a High School Sophomore

Well, my son and I are back from our college visit trip.  We traveled more than 1300 miles and visited six schools.  Here are my observations.

After reading, let me know what you think – send a note to stephen@julianconsulting.org.

  1. Our son is a high school sophomore.  Everyone kept saying he was starting “very early” – almost as though it was too early.  The expectation appears to be that college visits are conducted by juniors and seniors.  Because of our approach (see #2 & #3) I believe the sophomore year is the perfect age to start this process.
  2. I told my son that the purpose of our visits was to learn the process of selecting a college, not to make a decision about a specific school.  CollegeOn our way to the first school I quizzed him on questions he was going to be asked: What is your intended major?  Why are you visiting this particular school?  What is your current GPA?  Have you taken any of the standardized tests – if so, how did you score?  We also discussed questions he might ask: What is the total cost of tuition, room and board?  What scholarships are available?  What is the typical dorm room like?  What meal plans are available and how good is the food?  What opportunities are there for musicians outside of being a music major?
  3. My goal was to stay out of the way, so I let my son answer and ask the questions.  During campus tours I walked behind the tour guide and my son so that I didn’t become the focus or interrupt.  It’s amazing how many times the admissions counselor or tour guide would look to me rather than to my son.  When that happened, I looked at my son and waited for him to answer, redirecting the other person’s attention.
  4. College facilities are like houses.  There is a wide range in what is offered.  But like a home it is more about fit than which looks the best or has the nicest features.  This is consistent with my belief that the US News & World Report rankings should have little to do with individual decision-making.  The rankings may be interesting in the aggregate, but just because a school is in its top five doesn’t mean it should be in yours.
  5. Spending five days traveling with my son meant that the trip was a success regardless of what happened on the campuses we visited.  In addition, we were able to stay with friends for three of the four nights.

No comments:

Post a Comment