About this blog

This blog looks at how families express themselves and provides practical suggestions for improving communication.  Of course, "effective" and "improving" are value-laden terms, so while you may not agree with each of my suggestions, I do hope you'll keep stopping by to find the nuggets that work for you and those you love.  As you find ideas of value, please share this page with others.

NOTE: On the right-hand side of this page, click on "Follow Me On Twitter" and you will receive an update each time I post to this blog.  Also, click on "Receive Our 'Effective Family Communication' Newsletter" and you'll be added to our mailing list.


Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Speaking “toddler”–a language I’ve struggled to master

Years ago I sat in a McDonald’s and watched a mother and son have a meaningful conversation.  Unremarkable except that the child was probably 3 or 4 years old.  I remember thinking at the time: “How can an adult converse so effectively with a young child?”  I had three young children and felt I was often speaking over their heads (probably literally as well as figuratively).  Here I watched a mother speak in simple, concrete terms that her child understood and to which he was able, even invited, to respond.

Mother and sonSo for all of you out there who communicate effectively with toddlers and pre-schoolers, I want to say just how impressed with your ability I remain.

Much of this blog deals with communication between spouses and among family members, but given my own strengths and interests, the topics tend to deal with children who are upper elementary school and older.  I’ll try to slip in some tips periodically for those of you with younger children in the hopes of keeping you on board.  If you want to share some insights that you think would be good for others, please drop me a line at stephen@julianconsulting.org – I’m always willing to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment